A pairing for our Azienda Tilli Montepulciano D'Abruzzo. Image credit @eddmifflin, recipe by Riverford Veg
Weekends are for slowing down. Taking pleasure in the simple things. Like staying in our PJs until lunchtime. Enjoying a glass of wine whilst this slow cooked ragù simmers away? We'll take that, too. This veg-packed alternative to a bolognese (credit: Riverford Veg) is perfectly served with a glass of our full-bodied Montepulciano.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1large onion, finely diced
- 2carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2celery sticks, finely diced
- 1large fennel bulb, finely diced
- 6pork sausages - just the meat, squeezed out of the skins
- 2garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsptomato purée
- 125mldry white wine
- 1x 400g tinchopped tomatoes
- seasonings1tsp dried oregano, 1tbsp fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp chilli flakes, 1 bay leaf
- to servepasta and grated Parmesan
Fry the onion, carrot, celery and fennel in 3tbsp sunflower oil for 20 minutes or so. Stir occasionally, adding a splash of water if necessary.
Add the sausage meat and fry for around 5 minutes, or until browned.
Add the fennel seeds, oregano and garlic. Fry for 2 minutes.
Add the tomato purée and wine. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until the wine has been absorbed.
Add the tomatoes, bay and chilli flakes. Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Then uncover and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
Toss with pasta, top with some grated Parmesan and serve with a generous glass of Montepulciano.